- 3 cups puffed whole-grain cereal (e.g. puffed wheat or Kashi)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds or a combination
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit such as cranberries or blueberries (or a combination - NO added sugar), or up to 3/4 cup
- 3 Tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1/3 cup creamy nut or seed butter (e.g. peanut, cashew, almond – NO added sugar)
- 1/2 cup honey (OR brown rice syrup, light molasses, sorghum, or maple syrup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9-inch square metal baking pan foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl mix the cereal, nuts, dried fruit and (optional) flaxseed; set aside. Place the nut butter and honey in small heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for about 1 minute until bubbly and smooth. Pour hot mixture over cereal mixture in bowl, stir to blend (mix well to coat all of the cereal). Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Using a large square of wax paper or foil, firmly press mixture down into pan to firmly compact. Bake until just golden around edges, about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Remove bars using foil liner and cut into 16 bars or squares. Wrap in tin foil or plastic wrap and store in zip bags for travel. Makes 16 servings.
Share this Recipe