Who doesn’t love caramel slice? It’s OK to admit that you do. My family and I do, though we know it’s chock-full of nasty ingredients. Not this recipe, though! It’s a healthy take on this sweet treat.
No gluten, dairy or refined sugar here! Although this is still a ‘sometimes treat’, you can eat it knowing that you are ingesting some of Mother Nature’s finest ingredients, made with love.
- 1 cup dates
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup dates
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 ½ tbsp unhulled tahini
- ¼ – ½ cup pure organic maple syrup adjust this amount to your own sweetness liking
- 1 cup raw cashews covered and soaked in water for an hour and then rinsed
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- BASE: Pulse dates, almonds & coconut oil in a food processor until it resembles fine crumbs and sticks together when pressed. Pour mixture into a slice tin lined with non-toxic greaseproof paper and press it down to form the base. Place it in the freezer.
- CARAMEL: Put dates, coconut oil, tahini, maple syrup, cashews, and water into a blender and pulse until completely combined and smooth (you may need a little extra water to help blend it but try and keep it to a minimum). Pour caramel mixture on top of the base and return it to the freezer to set.
- TOP CHOCOLATE LAYER: Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and cacao to a small saucepan on really low heat and stir until it is combined and resembles chocolate sauce (this should only take a couple of minutes). Spread the chocolate sauce on top of the caramel filling – Make sure the caramel is set before you do this step! Pop it back into the freezer for an hour and then remove it from the tin, slice it up and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Share this Recipe